Select a link.
Shared Grocery was created by Kennan Mell, a software engineer with a passion for simple and easy-to-use apps. Kennan is an alumni of the University of Washington and has worked at Google and Facebook. His other projects include Factor Find and PVP IV.
Kennan initially made Shared Grocery as a simple project to learn development tools like SwiftUI and IGListKit. Because there are so many existing grocery apps, he never expected to use Shared Grocery long-term. In fact, as a longtime AnyList users himself, he never even intended to publish it.
So he was surprised when he found himself using Shared Grocery instead of existing list apps. While it lacked some features of more established apps – especially in the early stages of development – the convenience of being able to add items without having to think about which store/sub-list to assign them to was very appealing, and didn’t seem to exist elsewhere in the market.
During quarantine in 2020 and early 2021, Kennan continued to develop Shared Grocery, adding more advanced features like sharing, Siri support, and image attachments. Thanks to friends and family, the app was polished through multiple beta versions and dozens of grocery store runs before being published.
On behalf of everyone who has helped make Shared Grocery what it is today, we hope you’ll find the app as useful and time-saving as we have!
While Shared Grocery makes it easy to add items one at a time, sometimes it’s more convenient to import them in bulk. For example, you might do this if you want to add ingredients from a recipe, copy items from another shopping list app, or simply find it easier to type items in a notepad rather than in Shared Grocery’s UI.
Importing items requires a subscription to Shared Grocery Premium.
To import items, follow these steps:
- Select “…” (menu)
- Select “Import Items”
- If you are not a Shared Grocery Premium member, you will be asked to subscribe at this point. You must be a Premium member to import items.
- Copy the text you want to import (you may leave the app to do this).
- Each item to import should be on its own line. If the line starts with a bullet point or whitespace, it will be removed.
- Instead of copying text, you can just type the items to import.
- Tap next to the cursor to bring up the menu.
- If the menu doesn’t appear, it probably means you don’t have any text copied.
- Tap “Paste” to paste your copied text.
- Tap “Done” to import the items.
- If there is an error importing some of the items, you will be notified.
Note that it’s not currently possible to import items with notes or image attachments.
If you have any questions or suggestions – such as additional import formats that would be useful – feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shared Grocery is a very minimalist shopping list app, but that doesn’t mean it’s not packed with useful features! This article walks through some of the most commonly used features in Shared Grocery.
To add items to Shared Grocery, tap the “+” button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Enter the name of the item, and optionally enter the store where you’ll buy it, notes, or images related to the item. When you’re ready to add the item, press the “Done” button in the top right corner.
- You can refer to this article for more information about adding notes and images.
- If you’ve added an item in the past, any store, notes, or images you entered last time will be entered automatically to save you time!
- You can also add items you’ve added in the past by going to “… (menu)” -> “Completed” and tapping the circle to the left of the item.
- You can edit items at any time by tapping on them in the item list.
Once you’ve added an item, you’ll eventually buy it and be ready to complete it. You can complete an item by pressing the circular button next to the item’s name on the item list.
- Previously completed items are accessible from the … menu in the top right corner, by tapping “Completed”.
- You can also complete an item by tapping on it then pressing “Complete”.
- If you don’t want the item to show up in your completed items list or item suggestions, you can swipe left on the item to delete it completely.
- You can also long press to complete items if you enable this feature in Settings.
Sometimes you add an item while it’s on your mind but aren’t ready to buy it quite yet. And sometimes you want to buy an item but the store is out of it. In these cases, you can “snooze” the item after adding it in order to take it off your list for a little while.
To snooze an item, simply swipe right on it.
- Currently snoozed items are accessible from the … menu in the top right corner, by tapping “Snoozed”.
- You can swipe right on items that are already snoozed to un-snooze them.
- Snoozed items will be added back to your list automatically after a day. You can change this time interval by tapping on the item and editing the “Snoozed” date, or by changing the default snooze duration in Settings.
- You can also snooze an item by tapping on it then pressing “Snooze”.
Organizing Items By Store
When you add an item, if you enter a store name, the item will automatically be added to that store. If you add the item again later, it will be added to the same store again – you won’t ever have to enter the store name again!
To view items assigned to a specific store, tap on the filter button in the top left corner.
- You can also view all items on all stores simultaneously by selecting “All Items”, or view items you haven’t assigned a store yet by selecting “No Store”.
- If you’ve selected a store, any items you add while the store is selected will be assigned to that store automatically.
- You can filter the Completed and Snoozed lists by store as well.
- Stores only appear when they have an item in them. To make a store with a specific name appear, add an item to that store.
Sorting your List
Shared Grocery sorts your list based on how you’ve completed items in the past. For example, if you completed “apples” right before “bananas” the last time you went to the store, Shared Grocery will put those two items next to each other the next time you add them (with “apples” first).
If you’d prefer to sort the items a different way, you can change this by going to “… (menu)” -> “Settings” and changing the selection in “Sort List By”. The options are:
- Date Last Completed: Described above.
- Date Created: The item created most recently will appear first.
- Alphabetic: Items are sorted in alphabetic order.
- Times Completed: Items you’ve completed the most often will appear first.
- Note that manual sorting and sorting by category are not currently supported.
Subscribing to Premium
Some features – in particular inviting others to share your list, adding images to items, and importing items in bulk – are only available with Shared Grocery Premium, a subscription service which unlocks the full power of Shared Grocery. You can learn more about Shared Grocery Premium and how to subscribe in this article.
Other Useful Features
- You can easily share your list by following the steps in this article.
- You can learn how to import multiple items at once – for example from a recipe – in this article. You can perform other bulk actions on items – such as deleting all items – from “…” (menu) -> “Select All”.
- You can use Siri to add or delete items by saying “Hey Siri, add bananas using Grocery”.
- You can add home screen widgets to view how many items/stores/snoozed items you currently have, and to create a shortcut to add an item with one tap. Refer to this Apple article to learn how to add widgets.
- You can shake your device to undo or redo your last add/complete/snooze/delete action.
- There are a variety of customizations you can make by going to “… (menu)” -> “Settings”.
- You can long press the Shared Grocery app icon on the home screen to reveal quick actions that allow you to add an item with one tap, and more.
- Shared Grocery works with VoiceOver and is available in English, Spanish, and Chinese.
The following features are currently not supported.
- Apple Watch app: Shared Grocery synchronizes data using Firebase Firestore, which is not available for Apple Watch. If Firestore is updated to support Apple Watch, we will prioritize making an Apple Watch App ASAP!
- Categories: In order to maintain Shared Grocery’s minimalist design, we have no current plans to support categories.
- Recipes: In order to maintain Shared Grocery’s minimalist design, we have no current plans to support recipes. Note, however, that you can use the Import feature to import items from recipes you have online or in other apps.
Feel free to reach out with any questions or suggestions by emailing email@example.com
It’s easy to add note and/or image attachments to items in Shared Grocery. Simply follow these steps:
- Tap on an existing item, or tap on the “+” button to add a new item.
- To add a note, simply tap on the “Notes” area on the bottom of the screen and enter your note.
- To add an image, tap the “Add Image” button.
- If you are not already a Shared Grocery Premium member, you will be asked to subscribe at this point. Note that you need a Premium subscription to add images, but anyone can view images you’ve added, even if they don’t have Premium.
- If you’ve added an image to the item in the past, you can tap on the image to view, download, change, or delete it. The “Add Image” button won’t appear in this case because each item can only have one image attachment.
- Notes and images are automatically saved and shared with everyone you’re sharing your list with. It’s that easy!
Shared Grocery makes it easy to share your list with anyone else who has the app! Once you share your list, any edits you make will be immediately available to everyone you’re sharing with. Simply follow these steps to share:
- Tap on the … menu button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Tap on “Sharing”.
- Tap on “Invite”.
- If you are not already a Shared Grocery Premium member, you will be asked to subscribe at this point. After subscribing, tap “Invite” again.
- Note that you must have Shared Grocery Premium to send invites, but anyone can accept invites and join your group, even if they don’t have Premium.
- Enter the email address of the person you want to share with, then tap “Invite”.
- Tell the person you invited to check their email in order to download Shared Grocery and accept your invite.
- To accept, they should go to “…Menu” -> “Settings” -> “Sharing” -> “Received Invites” and tap on your name.
In Shared Grocery, sharing is simple. Everyone you share with owns and edits the same list. If you invite someone else, they’ll edit the same list as you and everyone you’re already sharing with. Sharing groups have no admins, so you can’t remove members, but you can always leave the group (using the “Stop Sharing” button) and start a new one if you’d like.
Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions.
This End-User License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal agreement between you and Kennan Mell
This EULA agreement governs your acquisition and use of our Shared Grocery software (“Software”) directly from Kennan Mell or indirectly through a Kennan Mell authorized reseller or distributor (a “Reseller”).
Please read this EULA agreement carefully before completing the installation process and using the Shared Grocery software. It provides a license to use the Shared Grocery software and contains warranty information and liability disclaimers.
If you register for a free trial of the Shared Grocery software, this EULA agreement will also govern that trial. By clicking “accept” or installing and/or using the Shared Grocery software, you are confirming your acceptance of the Software and agreeing to become bound by the terms of this EULA agreement.
If you are entering into this EULA agreement on behalf of a company or other legal entity, you represent that you have the authority to bind such entity and its affiliates to these terms and conditions. If you do not have such authority or if you do not agree with the terms and conditions of this EULA agreement, do not install or use the Software, and you must not accept this EULA agreement.
This EULA agreement shall apply only to the Software supplied by Kennan Mell herewith regardless of whether other software is referred to or described herein. The terms also apply to any Kennan Mell updates, supplements, Internet-based services, and support services for the Software, unless other terms accompany those items on delivery. If so, those terms apply.
Kennan Mell hereby grants you a personal, non-transferable, non-exclusive licence to use the Shared Grocery software on your devices in accordance with the terms of this EULA agreement.
You are permitted to load the Shared Grocery software on a device (for example a PC, laptop, mobile or tablet) under your control. You are responsible for ensuring your device meets the minimum requirements of the Shared Grocery software.
You are not permitted to:
- Edit, alter, modify, adapt, translate or otherwise change the whole or any part of the Software nor permit the whole or any part of the Software to be combined with or become incorporated in any other software, nor decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer the Software or attempt to do any such things
- Reproduce, copy, distribute, resell or otherwise use the Software for any commercial purpose
- Allow any third party to use the Software on behalf of or for the benefit of any third party
- Use the Software in any way which breaches any applicable local, national or international law
- Use the Software for any purpose that Kennan Mell considers is a breach of this EULA agreement
Intellectual Property and Ownership
Kennan Mell shall at all times retain ownership of the Software as originally downloaded by you and all subsequent downloads of the Software by you. The Software (and the copyright, and other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in the Software, including any modifications made thereto) are and shall remain the property of Kennan Mell.
Kennan Mell reserves the right to grant licences to use the Software to third parties.
This EULA agreement is effective from the date you first use the Software and shall continue until terminated. You or Kennan Mell may terminate it at any time upon written notice.
It will also terminate immediately if you fail to comply with any term of this EULA agreement. Upon such termination, the licenses granted by this EULA agreement will immediately terminate and you agree to stop all access and use of the Software. The provisions that by their nature continue and survive will survive any termination of this EULA agreement.
This EULA agreement, and any dispute arising out of or in connection with this EULA agreement, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of us.
Shared Grocery Premium is a paid subscription that unlocks the full power of the Shared Grocery app. Some features are only available to Premium users, including:
- Sharing your list with others.
- Adding items to images.
- Importing items.
These features are Premium because they increase the load on Shared Grocery’s backend servers, which makes Shared Grocery more expensive to maintain. As a Premium subscriber, you will unlock more features and help to ensure that Shared Grocery remains available long-term!
You can easily subscribe to Shared Grocery premium within the Shared Grocery iOS App by following the steps below. Note that pricing information is only available within the app.
- Open the Shared Grocery app.
- Tap on the … menu button in the top right corner.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Tap on “Premium”.
- Note that if you already have a Shared Grocery Premium subscription active, you will be notified at this point.
- Tap on “Go Premium” to subscribe.
After over a year of development and internal testing, Shared Grocery is almost ready for launch! Before we publicly release the app, we are opening up our beta program to anyone who is interested for a final round of testing.
If you become a tester, you’ll have the opportunity to download the app within the next few days and provide feedback directly to the development team. We’ll incorporate your feedback before release to make the app even better for you and others!
To sign up for the open beta, follow @Shared_Grocery on Twitter and send us a DM. Alternatively, you can email email@example.com